Diplomatic baggage

Testing is all about looking for things that no-one wants you to find. But finding a bug is just the start - harder still is breaking the news to a developer that their code is not as perfect as they might expect. So how do you do this while ensuring they don't cross you off their Christmas card list?

  • An insult hidden in a compliment (aka iron fist in velvet glove): "It's all working well except for...", praise their code before tearing it to pieces.
  • It's not you it's me: "This isn't working on my machine, what am I doing wrong?" Self-deprecation is the key here, you're the one doing it wrong. Could they please check to see if it happens for them? (It will). Does however run the danger of the comeback "it works for me".
  • You're too important: "I've found this on a browser you wouldn't have had time to test on" (even if it is Chrome). Developers are always busy, so there's no way they should be expected to find all the defects before they send it to you. Particularly useful for cross-browser defects.
  • Passing the buck: "I think this might have been missed in the design..." The spec never covers everything, use this to your advantage by claiming a defect fell between the cracks. 
  • Throw down the gauntlet: "I don't think you'll be able to fix this, but..." Developers love a challenge.
  • Send it upstairs: "I like what you've done but I think the client might mean something else - can you clear it with them?" If there's any way of fixing it without having to involve the client it will get done.
  • Out of date documentation: "This doesn't match the spec I've got, can you check against your version?" A form of buck-passing that blames whoever distributes the documentation.
  • Soften the blow: "I've found a bit of an edge case...", "This might be as intended...", "I've found this workaround...", "You've probably already fixed this..."

Of course, I'm speaking with my tongue firmly in my cheek here, but it is worth keeping in the back of your mind that all defects are, effectively, bad news, and presenting them in the right way can make for a happy developer. And everyone likes a happy developer.

Comments